North Pool is a six lane, 25-yard outdoor pool with depths ranging from 3 feet 6 inches to 10 feet. Formerly known as the Women's Gym in the 1930's, North Pool at Kaufman Hall received a much needed renovation and was re-opened after three years of construction. It now plays host to our adult swim lesson program, practices for the Bruin Swim Club, and the American Red Cross safety program. Additionally, the adjacent wet classroom makes it easy to provide necessary training for lifeguards and water safety instructors.
Recreational Swimming Hours:
Monday-Friday: 6:00am-8:00am, 11:00am-2:00pm
For detailed dates and times, please click here.
Lockers are available for purchase at the John Wooden Center Sales & Cashiering desk. After receiving a receipt, go to the Student Activity Center front desk where you will be issued a combination lock for a locker at the North Pool.
Available for daily checkout at the North Pool front desk.
Click here for more information on renting the North Pool.
The North Pool is located on the north side of Kaufman Hall. Click here to view the campus map.
Programs conducted at the North Pool include:
North Pool Use and Safety Rules
- Swimming is permitted only when an authorized UCLA Lifeguard is on duty.
- Swimmers should soap shower before swimming.
- Persons with bandages or open sores will not be permitted in the pool.
- Swimmers must be dressed in clothing specifically designed for swimming (i.e. no cut off shorts, t-shirts, etc.)
- NO PROLONGED BREATH HOLDING OR PROLONGED UNDERWATER SWIMMING.
- Food, drink, and glass objects are prohibited in the pool area and locker room.
- Open recreation swim is limited to persons 18 years of age or older only.
- Floatation devices, toys, balls, and other foreign objects are prohibited in the pools. For lap swimming, use of kickboards, hand paddles, pull buoys, masks, fins, snorkels, and swim belts is permissible. These articles must be used for their designed purpose and in assigned lanes only. Please see the lifeguard for assistance.
- Circle pattern swimming is required in designated lanes.
- Hazardous activities are prohibited. Running, dunking, pushing, piggyback rides, flips, and stunt off the side are hazardous activities (as well as others deemed so by the lifeguard on duty).
- Diving is permitted only at the deep end. Do no dive from the shallow end.
- Starting blocks are for competitive team use during scheduled practice and competition only.
- Instruction by the lifeguards and/or supervisor on duty must be obeyed at all times.