Swim Lessons for Youths
arrive on time to your scheduled lesson. Instructors will only wait 10
minutes for late arrivals. After 10 minutes, the lesson will be
determined a "no show" and counted as a used lesson.
UCLA Recreation Swim Instructors are Lifeguard or Water Safety
Instruction certified through the American Red Cross and have experience
with multi-level instruction.While we strive for instructor continuity we cannot guarantee it.
Due to the popularity of our swim programs, UCLA Recreation is unable
to make-up lessons missed by participants and will only reschedule in
the event of program or instructor error.
Transportation From Camp Programs
Please note that (with the exception of Camp Bruin Kids Level A Learn
to Swim Program) swim programs are seperate from summer camp programs
and UCLA Recreation will not transport campers from camp to their swim
Thank you for your interest in Swim Lessons!
- UCLA Recreation believes that consistent instruction is beneficial
to students and instructors. Therefore, we will make every effort to
provide you with a consistent instructor and with the instructor that
- After purchasing lessons, booking and scheduling
Private Instruction Swim Lessons will be directly between the instructor
- After purchasing your lessons, the instructor will call you
within 48 business hours to schedule your first Private Instruction Swim
- If you do not receive a phone call from an instructor within 48 business hours please call (310) 206-6273.
- Cancellation or rescheduling of private lessons must be made 24
hours in advance. To cancel a private lesson please call your
instructor directly or Aquatics Coordinator at (310) 206-6273. If you
fail to cancel with-in 24 hours you wil be charged in full for the
- To purchase additional lessons please call or stop by the John Wooden Center at (310) 825-3701.
- Private Instruction Swim Lessons are offered only as instructor
availability and pool space permit during Recreation Swim hours. During
the summer months of June through September Private Instruction is only
offered during times when instructional block swim lessons are not
Your child's success in swimming lessons will be influenced by their
physical comfort while in the water and on the pool deck. Pool water
temperatures are meant to be conducive to quality instruction. We have
made every effort to assure a welcoming and supportive environment.
Recreation offers swim lessons for participants of all abilities and
ages 6 months to adulthood. UCLA Aquatics offers swim lessons to meet
the needs of person of all skill levels. (For more information on Adult Swim Lessons click here.)
Swim lessons teach aquatic and safety skills in a logical progression.
The objective is to teach participants to swim and be safe in, on, and
around the water. Skills are categorized in the following way:
Please use the following descriptions
to help determine appropriate class placements. Instructors reserve the
right to change the placement of a participant in order to provide the
best possible instructional environment.
- Water entry and exit
- Breath control and underwater swimming
- Changing direction and position
- Treading water
- Swimming on front, back, and side
- General and personal water safety
- Helping others