Pac-12 Recreation Challenge
All 12 schools will be competing from October 26-30, 2015 to accumulate the most minutes of activity and earn the title of Pac-12 Recreation Champion!
This year ALL forms of recreation meet the cardio criteria including, but not limited to: skateboarding to class, commuting on your bike, household chores, and walking throughout the day. Even as little as 10 minutes of physical activity can count towards cardio exercise, so there is no better time than now to get started, and we've mapped out a daily challenge for some inspiration!
- Take part in an intramural sport
- Spend at least 30 minutes during Open Rec hours outside being active.
- Take the Racquet Challenge: Play at least 30min of a racquet sport (Tennis, Racquetball, squash, etc.)
Participate in an Group X or instructional class. Try to bring 1-2 friends with you!
Grab a friend(s) and collectively swim 12 laps at the SCRC, or swim for 30min. on your own.
Head over and experience the JWC Climbing Wall (12pm-10pm), or hop on a skateboard or bike and ride around campus with friends
- Head over to JWC and do at least 15 minutes of intensive fit training (push ups, jumping jacks, sit ups, pull ups, dumbbells, etc.)
- Kayak at the Marina Aquatic Center (special PAC-12 Challenge hours: 6:00 am-5:30 pm).
- Time your Trip! Exercise is part of the UCLA lifestyle, so for this week, time yourself when you walk to class or to work! This is exercise already worked into your day, and every minute counts!
- Take the stairs! If you work on campus, stairs are unavoidable. Embrace the stairs for the week to give yourself some extra minutes.
- Meet on the go! If you're meeting up with a friend or colleague, take a walk! Your brain will be clear, your body will thank you, and you can enjoy the beautiful Los Angeles weather.
- Make your desk time count. UCLA Recreation has a ton of videos with tutorials on exercises you can do at your desk. Pick a different video each day to log minutes even when you're stuck inside.
- Are you a runner? In honor of the Challenge, try to run a 12-minute mile!
- With midterms & finals, the whole campus is working hard. Any time you take a break from work or studying, do 12 push-ups to clear your brain, refocus, and help UCLA towards victory!
- If you love to walk, check out these walking routes on campus around Westwood!