YOUTH SWIM LESSONS
- Water Babies Ages 6 to 18 months (Year Round Dates)
- Swimming For Two Ages 18 months to 3 years (Year Round Dates)
- Kids Conquer the Water Ages 3 to 5 years (Year Round Dates)
- Group Swim Lessons Ages 5 to 12 years (Spring and Summer Dates)
- Weekend Private or Semi-Private Lessons Ages 3 to 12 years (Spring and Summer Dates)
- Weekday Private or Semi-Private Lessons Ages 5 to 12 years (Spring and Summer Dates)
- Private Instruction
- Elite Coaching (Year Round)
- Adaptive Private Instruction (Year Round)
- Bruin Swim Club (Year Round)
- Bruin Diving Team (Year Round)
Please arrive on time to your scheduled lesson. Instructors will only wait 10 minutes for late arrivals. After 10 minutes, the lesson will be determined a "no show" and counted as a used lesson.
UCLA Recreation Swim Instructors are lifeguard or Water Safety Instruction certified and have experience with multi-level instruction. While we strive for instructor continuity we cannot guarantee it.
Due to the popularity of our swim programs, UCLA Recreation is unable to make-up lessons missed by participants and will only reschedule in the event of program or instructor error.
Recreation does not transport campers from camp to their swim lesson: Please note that swim programs are separate from summer camp programs, with the exception of Camp Bruin Kids Level A Learn to Swim Program.
Thank you for your interest in Swim Lessons!
- UCLA Recreation believes that consistent instruction is beneficial to students and instructors. Therefore, we will make every effort to provide you with a consistent instructor and with the instructor that you request.
- After purchasing lessons, booking and scheduling Private Instruction Swim Lessons will be directly between the instructor and client.
- After purchasing your lessons, the instructor will call you within 48 business hours to schedule your first Private Instruction Swim Lesson.
- If you do not receive a phone call from an instructor within 48 business hours please call (310) 206-6273.
- Cancellation or rescheduling of private lessons must be made 24 hours in advance. To cancel a private lesson please call your instructor directly or Aquatics Coordinator at (310) 206-6273. If you fail to cancel with-in 24 hours you wil be charged in full for the session.
- To purchase additional lessons please call or stop by the John Wooden Center at (310) 825-3701.
- Private Instruction Swim Lessons are offered only as instructor availability and pool space permit during Recreation Swim hours. During the summer months of June through September Private Instruction is only offered during times when instructional block swim lessons are not offered.
Your child's success in swimming lessons will be influenced by their physical comfort while in the water and on the pool deck. Pool water temperatures are meant to be conducive to quality instruction. We have made every effort to assure a welcoming and supportive environment.
UCLA Recreation offers swim lessons for participants of all abilities and ages 6 months to adulthood. UCLA Aquatics offers swim lessons to meet the needs of person of all skill levels. (For more information on Adult Swim Lessons click here.) Swim lessons teach aquatic and safety skills in a logical progression. The objective is to teach participants to swim and be safe in, on, and around the water. Skills are categorized in the following way:
- Water entry and exit
- Breath control and underwater swimming
- Changing direction and position
- Treading water
- Swimming on front, back, and side
- General and personal water safety
- Helping others
Please use the following descriptions to help determine appropriate class placements. Instructors reserve the right to change the placement of a participant in order to provide the best possible instructional environment.